Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My other ideas

Okay, so as promised here are the other two ideas I have about the student design project that is cultural. The first came because of the stories that I have always heard of my great grandfather Cot (he was called Cot because of his cotton white hair). He lived and raised his family in Heber City, Utah. At the time things were tough and he brought in a lot of food from hunting and fishing. But the part that is the most fascinating to me of what I have been told is how else he brought in money. Apparently he made is own fish fly to go and catch fish. He became so skilled that he was able to make many and sell them to people. I find his whole lifestyle of providing for family fascinating and I think it depicts culture. There must have been many like him doing the same type of thing, hunting, fishing, etc. I espicially want to discover what it was like living during that time period and I think that right now I have one of the greatest resources available, my great grandmother is still alive and it would be great to get her perspective on life at the time and how he used fly fishing and tying flys to provide.

My other idea resolves around diabetes. My father had diabetes almost all of his life and i can remember the difference it made in our life and impact. I believe it has a lot of culture and it is clearly seen in the book that he started writing about living with diabetes. My first thoughts are of course initially how this impacted me. I only had sugar free koolaide growing up along with sugar free jello. What I want to write about is how this affected a young child life. He was only eight I believe and I would like to know what that must have been like for him, my grandfather and grandmother, and aunts and uncles. I am sure there are others that are in his situation and writing something about this might be able to apply to quite a few different individuals. Okay, well there will be more on this later if I choose it, but this is what I am currently thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment