Friday, October 2, 2009

My Research

So far the most useful research that I have obtained came from interviewing my Grandfather. I did not just interview him once. It seems that as I would work with the things he had told me I would have more questions and so interviewing him was very helpful. Another aspect that it was helpful because it gave me a reference point. I would have had no idea the name of the metal detecting club unless I interviewed him. From that point, I was able to research the location and the club parameters. In fact, I did not even no where it was at. Mostly, I was trying to take the information that I recieved and find a way to visualize the place

I think the biggest problem I have is my place is not home to anything major so it has been difficult finding books, internet sites on the information I need. I have been able to view maps, population size, and historic photos but it has taken several hours of searching. Also, other than viewing the maps myself I have not found anything that I found to be useful to put into my article. I have not found quotes or anything to that nature so that is the other difficult part.

I think the biggest help I could have would be tips on how to keep this a historical context on a place. I more than often want to write about the event, and as I avoid it and as I receive feedback on how to avoid it it would help.

1 comment:

  1. Derek,
    To bring historical content into a piece there are several ways to do this, but one way that might fit the set-up you have is having a certain type of car pull through the town to the building. Consider a news program or type of music to be on the radio. You can show the people inside the building and the details of the clothing would let you bring in a time period or perhaps if there was a nearby newspaper seller/stand/stack that would let the year be known.
    As for the focus being solely on the place, you can bring in small details of the events that occur within the space, as you have; this helps readers understand the significance of the place. Help the readers feel as though they have visited the location you're describing.
    sjr

    ReplyDelete